Go to main content

Image

Description

Caption on reverse reads: This old vehicle, called "Jeruselem Dilly," was built in 1824 for John T. Dayton of Hardscrabble Farm, on the Sag Harbor road. Living so far out of the village, he wanted a more comfortable conveyance than the usual clumsy box wagon used at the time, for the long ride into town over the bumpy roads. With this in mind, he had built, in Sag Harbor do doubt, for the sum of fifty dollars, the first light spring carriage seen in East Hampton. Comfort was not given much consideration in those days, and when the beautiful creation was finally delivered, family tradition has it that it was kept hidden in the barn for several months before he had the courage to appear in it at church with his family and face the astonishment of his friends at this evidence of his extravagance. Unfortunately, this venerable vehicle was lost in a fire which destroyed one of the buildings at the farm. Shown here is his great grand son, Ralph Dayton, using it in the 1915 Fourth of July parade. Copy by C. Frank Dayton.

Details

Files

Comments

Statistics

from
to
Export
Download Full History
Formats
Format
BibTeX
MARCXML
TextMARC
MARC
DublinCore
EndNote
NLM
RefWorks
RIS